Building Resilience through Innovation, Communication and Knowledge Services project
BRICKS is the regional hub for the 1 billion Sahel and West Africa Program (SAWAP) in support of the Great Green Wall. It provides operational services to country projects to help identify regional and global innovations, promote them through better communication, and put that knowledge into use.
The project is implemented by CILSS, OSS, and IUCN:
- CILSS (Permanent Interstate Committee for Drought Control in the Sahel) leads the regional knowledge management activities,
- OSS (Sahara and Sahel Observatory) is be responsible for geospatial services and portfolio monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) leads in the areas of biodiversity, networking strategies, and strategic communication.
These agencies and their partners provide on-demand technical assistance, advisory services, and a regional platform for cross-fertilization of what works, where, and under what enabling conditions.
- Regional web portal, to gather and disseminate knowledge resources, and the geospatial and M&E information. It links the 12 SAWAP projects’ information systems, and existing national and regional knowledge platforms.
- Identifying and disseminating best practices through communities of practice; existing academic and public/private sector research; and projects financed by the World Bank and partners in the broader GGWI region, and globally.
- South-south learning events, training, and periodic study tours to enable the 12 SAWAP project teams to exchange experiences on topics of mutual concern.
- Competitive regional innovation grants for knowledge oriented ICTs.
- Operational services facility for environmental public goods such as facilitation and brokering of expertise, a technical peer review panel, and an operations support pool.
- Regional environmental economic analyses on successful NRM approaches (e.g., benefit-cost, ecosystem valuations). These analyses should complement country-level analyses carried out by the SAWAP portfolio.
- Strategic communication, at regional level, to complement the 12 projects’ communication activities and to enable participation of local stakeholders and improved governance.
Program Support Services
- Aggregating and benchmarking results, and supporting M&E systems. Country projects contribute M&E data and results up to the regional level, where they are aggregated into regional progress reports.
- Participatory training and expert M&E support, including on process and impact monitoring of, e.g., biophysical change. International and regional expertise provided on demand.
- Monitoring, modeling and mapping land and water resources, and land use change and resilience in the regional portfolio, using GIS and other analytical tools.
- Impact evaluation platform to support project agencies in developing a platform for sharing methodologies and findings; advocating the use of impact evaluation in project and policy development and implementation; and assembling a pool of on-demand experts.